Architecture caught in the narrative of the landscape
On the site of a former restaurant and hotel, a contemporary multipurpose centre is located, personifying the characteristics and values of the region.
The story of the Rinka, a multipurpose centre for the sustainable development of the Solčavsko region, begins a long time ago, before its personal history. It dates back to 1953, when local volunteers reconstructed the village that had been burnt down during the war and built a catering and hotel building, which was named the Rinka after the waterfall in the Logarska Valley. The building was a popular meeting point for both locals and visitors, but it also served as the headquarters for the local community office, the mountain rescue service and the local branch office of the Ministry of the Interior. The old Rinka started to deteriorate due to inadequate maintenance, but the municipality of Solčava recognised its true value and bought the building in 2007. The Rinka centre has an extraordinary geostrategic position; it is located along the main regional road, which provides access to three valleys – the Robanov Kot, the Logarska Valley and the Matkov Kot – and is therefore an excellent starting and orientation point for the tourist attractions of the region.
Design Architects: Architectural office AU arhitekti – Uroš Lobnik, Andreja Podlipnik
Co-author: Janko Rožič
Client: Občina Solčava
Collaborators: Dušan Borak, Andrej Grabar, Luka Ratajc
Project Manager: Andreja Podlipnik
Contractor: CM Celje
Design and construction: 2008-2011
Area: 804 m²
The complete article is published in Autumn issue of Piranesi No. 31 Vol. 20.