MÉMOSZ, Headquarters of the National Association of Hungarian Building Industry Workers, 1950.

Liget Office Building, Headquarters of Nationale Nederlanden Hungary, 2001

The transformation of a late-modernist monument into a contemporary office building.

The former Mémosz Building from 1950 is considered to be the last modernist building realised by the Hungarian state before Socialist Realism became the official architecture. At the turn of the new millennium, the office part of the building was substantially renovated to start a second life, but the adjacent auditorium, where the communist party once held their annual meetings, is still awaiting a new use.

Photo: Hungarian Architecture Museum’s Archive

Photo: Hungarian Architecture Museum’s Archive

Photo: Tamás Bujnovszky

Photo: Christian Richters

Photo: Christian Richters

Arhitects: 

1947-1950: Lajos Gádoros, Imre Perényi, Gábor Preisich, György Szrogh
1999-2001: (designed by) Erick van Egeraat

Build: 1950

Renovated: 2001

The complete article is published in Spring 2012 issue of Piranesi No. 30/Vol. 20.

Subscribe to printed magazine.